Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Arena Rock

so i always assumed that the NHL sent out a CD boxed set called "Cliched Music for Athletic Events" to every arena in the league, and that the music on the Jumbotron PA system was drawn from that set. however, it seems from watching games on TV or listening on the radio to away games, that not only do different arenas play different music, but that the RBC Center plays a particularly stultifying mix of Top 40 / Classic rock / Emo (? i don't know what to call some of the songs on there) / Sports Disco compared to some other joints.

Back in 2006 we brought them a couple Merge CDs including Spoon, Arcade Fire, and Superchunk, and they did indeed play "Punch Me Harder" during the '06 Finals.
Luke DeCock, columnist for the Raleigh News and Observer, is a long-time advocate for new/different music at the RBC Center and had a couple columns about it during this playoff run by the 'Canes. He even asked me for my input as to what we'd like to hear more of on the PA during the breaks in games....here's that list -- i had to stop after thinking about it for an hour because i could have kept going all night....what does everyone here wish they would play during hockey matches? maybe they already play what you like at your local enormodome!

8 Comments:

Blogger lal:tree said...

So I guess I'm a little biased, but I think "This Year" would make a great PA blaster, especially in the postseason (or during series like this last one).

2:05 PM  
Blogger peb said...

I always wonder why The Jesus Lizard's "Gladiator" isn't played at every sporting event. That song makes me want to win something.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Darryl said...

For starters...

Muse -- "Invincible"
Zep -- "In the Evening"
Danzig -- "How The Gods Kill"
Rollins Band -- "On My Way to the Cage"
Black Flag -- "My War"
Husker Du -- "Divide and Conquer"
Clash -- "Death or Glory"
Cro-Mags -- "Show You No Mercy"
D Generation -- "No Way Out"

All better than the overplayed dreck I hear nightly...

4:15 PM  
Blogger Kurt Chiang said...

A little off topic, but I thought about this while reading your post: Baseball takes the cake in worst listening experiences ever at a live game. The reason? At-bat music. Imagine your favorite hockey players entering the rink to their very own, hand-picked, cliche fight song. Maybe hockey players would have better taste, though.

Thanks for getting me into hockey this playoff season. Up in Chicago, been a stressful, but fun, time.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Just a couple PA tunes for when your team's really struggling (i.e. this year's Bruins).

Still hopeful: "Stay Positive", Hold Steady

Losing faith: "New Low", Superchunk

Faith lost, anger sets in: "Don't", Dinosaur

Resignation/acceptance: "Major Leagues," Pavement

7:16 PM  
Blogger Dean-C said...

A quick personal history on the subject.
I moved here (RAL) in April of 06 when the Canes started the cup run. I grew up in Mass., and moved to LA to write scripts. When I told my Mass/Cali friends I was moving to Raleigh (for affordable housing when the markets were nuts in Mass./Cali) they thought I was nuts, and even I wasn't sure about the move. But, when I went to the Canes playoff games with "Punch me Harder" blasting on the PA after a fight, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!!!
I have to thank you for that Mac. Hockey and Music are very important to me, and to have them MERGE like that, at that crazy time in my life was just awesome. I know it sounds stupid, but it made me feel right at home!

As for arena hockey songs nothing beats Punch me Harder for me, but heres a few off the top-

Kinks - Destroyer
Pixies - Umass (awesome hand clapping riff)
Metallica - Seek and Detroy
Beat on the Brat - Ramones
Lightening Strikes the Postman - Flaming Lips
Honorable mention-
Hit Somebody - Warren Zevon (not a great arena song, but probably the best hockey song ever)

I could think about this forever but I have to get back to work.

BTW Props to Ben for New Low when your team is getting spanked (should be the theme song for the Pens series)(sorry)

And there should certainly be more Stooges And Sabbath (War Pigs is perfect)

Also Mac, you asked in the last post, now that the Canes are done What are you gonna do???

How about watching the finals??? It should be a great matchup. The 3rd periods will be time well spent. You know where VS is.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

As I just posted at the N&O:

Raleigh's own Bandway - "Major Damage."

I also believe Bandway would be the perfect candidate to record a Canes theme song, in the vein of Ted Nugent's heroic '97 or '98 Red Wings paean "Warrior Cup."

8:21 AM  
Blogger mookieproof said...

It's not really an arena rock jam, but maybe you should send the Canes' organist (assuming they have one) an arrangement of 'Hurricane Warning (Ignored)'...

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home