Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Toronto Here We Come


Next week my compatriot in rock, Jim Wilbur and I will head north to play a somewhat non-rock show at a special advance screening of Matt Bissonnette's new film Passenger Side. The show will be us on acoustic guitars playing Superchunk and Portastatic songs, and maybe some covers thrown in for good measure. Matt directed Looking for Leonard and Who Loves the Sun, both of which i scored... but for this film almost all of the music is playing on a car tape deck as the main characters take a circuitous road trip, and i helped Matt come up with the playlist, which was fun and hardly what i'd call a job. Plus the movie is great. This event goes down at the fancy-looking Royal Theatre in Toronto next Wed, April 7. First they show the movie, then we talk about the movie, then we play some songs! Everybody wins, i think...

listening:
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
Four Tet - There Is Love In You
DOA - Bloodied but Unbowed
Jay Reatard - Watch Me Fall
Shugo Tokumaru - Port Entropy
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thought I'd give you a friendly plug from Toronto:
http://www.snobsmusic.net/2010/03/superchunks-mccaughan-and-wilbur-to.html

2:52 PM  
Blogger Ostrakos said...

Any chance of posting the playlist here? Who knows when I'll get to see the movie but I'd like to see what you chose.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Mac said...

check the site for the movie! the songs in the film are there....

10:12 PM  
Blogger Kyndra and Jon said...

I wish I was in Toronto for this special event how amazing Superchunk and Portastatic songs live man oh man sounds like a dream

You lucky Canadians

11:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

bloodied but unbowed... must go update the 'pod now!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one still playing My Bloody Valentine.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

just wanted to drop a random note and thank you for "Our Noise". The indie movement in the 90's was a big part of my life, and that's the reason I picked it up, but I found unexpected inspiration for my own DIY business through it. While these adventures are not music based, I gleaned some real momentum from the balls out approach and your and Laura's dedication to running things with integrity and dedication to what felt right for for you, Merge, and it's artists.
It has actually inspired a project between a friend of mine and myself to explore the sometimes unexpected and random rammifications that the indie movement had on our generation. We
are collecting essays and stories from the people who can credit that time as when they came of age and really made the decision that they too, were going to do more than they thought they could, and where that has led them today.
I'm planning my first trip to Chapel Hill(from Flint Mi) next month,(my chosen mecca, for obvious reasons)and hope to be able to check out SC at The Cat's Cradle.
Again, thank you so much for what your work has done for countless people of the "entreprunerial generation"

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home