Friday, September 18, 2009

Book Week Recap!


We've seen three bookstores, and we've rocked them all...Good publication week for Our Noise....in some ways more fun that record store in-stores are the bookstore in-stores, but more nerve-wracking as well due to all the public speaking one must do. There were some good questions from the crowd and we had answers for most as well, though we were a little stumped by one gentleman who wanted to talk about James Taylor and various conspiracy theories related to the Chapel Hill-raised singer-songwriter.

We read some sections of the book, i could not be goaded into doing an impression of Stephin Merritt while reading a quote of his, though in hindsight i should have gone for it. We also played some songs in the previously untried acoustic guitar / electric bass format:

Driveway to Driveway, Throwing Things, Detroit Has a Skyline, Cool, and a possibly-ill-conceived spur-of-the-moment acoustic Hyper Enough by request.
i also played some covers of bands in the book...Anything You Want (Spoon), Neighborhood #4 (7 Kettles) (Arcade Fire), Where's Your Patience, Dear (Matt Suggs), Theone (Lambchop), Come Back from San Francisco (The Magnetic Fields) and My Life Is Wrong (East River Pipe). the photo here is me whistling the glockenspiel part from the Matt Suggs song.

some footage is captured over here at the fine Triangle Music blog though i don't recommend the Magnetic Fields cover as i kind of botched it. i even practiced i swear.

my first every Skype experience is captured in an interview over at one of my favorite sites Salon.

9 Comments:

Blogger J. Lakin said...

Was lucky enough to catch two of the appearances (the second in Chapel Hill was a convenient midday escape from the law library, plus i missed the first part of the Durham event), and both were fantastic... I was not expecting a whole new set of covers, and 'Detroit has a Skyline' pretty much made my Thursday.

Also, thanks for the 'Welcome' inscription in the book... I feel like I've really arrived in the Triangle now that I've by gotten the Merge/Superchunk greeting :)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Dr. Confusion said...

I would pay good money to hear a recording of the two of y'all doing "anything you want". that song rules, and i'd love to hear it in a portastatic-duo style.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Re "Come Back From San Francisco" video, whatever that book is that Laura is proofreading sure has her engrossed.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Mac said...

i think it's the new Sue Grafton she picked up before the event.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

thanks for playing "Cool"... i've always wondering about the lyrics and you filled in some blanks.

Also, I agree with Dr. Confusion... is there a recorded version of that??

12:15 PM  
Blogger Brother John said...

Forgot to ask when you signed my book... is it alright w/ you guys if I put video of the in-store on my Facebook page?(only viewable by friend of friends) If not, I understand.

Thanks, BTW, for all the years of melody through the din, w/ SC, Portastatic, Merge, etc. etc. Y'all are probably the only label that ever would have put out "In the Aeroplane...". That alone says a lot about the industry and why Merge has been, and continues to be, so important. (I may even still have a copy I believe Merge sent me for my zine way back when) And the passages on Butterglory have made me belatedly look them up on e-music. From what I've heard so far, I think I really missed the boat... but it's never too late! Thanks again!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I was going to ask you whether you thought I could buy a James Taylor CD in 10 years, but I opted for a poorly phrased Superchunk question. What I meant to ask was why don't people get how awesome Superchunk is and how they got stronger with each and every album.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Kyndra Holley said...

Too cool.
I wish I lived in NC so I could see the readings in person. As far as I know I have watched all the videos that were shot and it looks like it was a really fun time.
I can't wait for my book to arive

1:32 AM  
Blogger Brother John said...

Eric, re getting stronger with each album, I agree. "No Pocky for Kitty" still stands as a GREAT album, but if they kept re-releasing some variation of it, most would have gotten bored with SC years ago. "Phone Sex" is about as far away as one could get within the confines of the same band, but the harmonies and pedal steel make it a truly beautiful piece of music.

Our Noise has a good bit of discussion (and apparently there was some fretting) about SC delving into new musical territory for the later albums. No need, it was worth it. Musicians just play music. Artists grow.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home